The Direction of Management (DOM)
Posted July 2, 2006
With respect to Shakuntala devi dasi's proposal to implement the Direction of Management in ISKCON is perfectly reasonable and sensible case. Srila Prabhupada himself refered to it on occasions.
The two positive points in this are:
- Temple president can not be removed whimsically by the GBC. It necceitates for the Temple members to decide that.
- The commissioners(GBC) will serve for a period of 3 years, and they may be re-elected at the end of this period.
Srila Prabhupada left a thorough management structure of governance in ISKCON. Not only that he himself applied it as the following letters show:
74-09-29. Letter: Mukunda:
Regarding the election of President, a president can only be changed by vote. If no vote was taken, then the president cannot be changed. Neither Hamsaduta can change the president whimsically or can anybody else change the president. According the "Direction of Management" the GBC cannot change the President but only by vote can it be done. The GBC's business is to see that the President and the members are doing nicely, following the regulative principles, and chanting 16 rounds and that other things are going on nicely.
74-11-07. Letter: Rupanuga:
N.B. Regarding replacing Abhirama and Damodara I refer to the "Direction of Management" as follows: "Removal of a Temple President by GBC requires support by the local Temple members." Therefore you should take a vote of the Temple members and do the needful. A. C. B.S.
74-11-08. Letter: Rupanuga:
Regarding Abhirama, in your letter you mention that in Miami it is so important center, 65 devotees, growing each day, ideal location. So Abhirama, has done this. He has done much service. He cannot be removed whimsically. Sex disturbance is the permanent disease of the Western people. Anyway I have already written you that the local members must agree for him to be removed by you, according to the "Direction of Management."
If one actually studies sincerely the Direction of Management (please see below) the conclusion is that it will solve the mess ISKCON is in today.
DIRECTION OF MANAGEMENT (1970)
HIS DIVINE GRACE A.C. BHAKTIVEDANTA SWAMI PRABHUPADA
DIRECTION OF MANAGEMENT
Atlanta, Georgia.........1476 Oxford Rd. N.E. 30322
Baltimore, Maryland.........1300 N. Calvert St.
Berkeley, California.........2710 Durant Avenue 94704
Berlin, West Germany
Boston, Massachusetts...... 40 N. Beacon St. 02134
Boulder, Colorado.........623 Concord St.
Buffalo, New York.........40 Englewood Ave. 14214
Chicago, Illinois.........2210 N. Halstead St.
Detroit, Michigan.........74 West Forest St. 48201
Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.
Hamburg, West Germany......2000 Hamburg 6, Bartelstrasse 65
Honolulu, Hawaii.........2016 McKinley St. 96822
Laguna Beach, California......130 Woodland Drive 92651
London, England.........7 Bury Place, Bloomsbury, W..C. 1
Los Angeles, California......3764 Watseka Ave. 90034
Montreal, Canada.........3720 Park Ave.
New Vrndavana, W. Virginia...RD 3 Moundsville 26041
New York City, New York...... 61 Second Ave. 10003
Paris, France............c/o Serge Elbeze, BO 113 Paris 14
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania......416 South 10th St. 19147
Provincetown, Massachusetts...104 Bradford St.
San Diego, California......3689 Park Blvd.
San Francisco, California......618 Frederick St. 94117
San Jose, California.........70 Hawthorne Way
Santa Barbara, California ......6654 del Playa, Goleta 93017
Seattle, Washington.........n5516 Roosevelt Way N.E. 98105
St. Louis, Missouri.........4544 LaClede Ave. 63110
Sydney, Australia.........298 Birrell St. Bondi, N.S.W. 2026
Tokyo, Japan............6-16, 2 Chome Ohhashi, Meguro-Ku
Toronto, Canada.........40 Beverly St., Ontario
Vancouver, Canada.........260 Raymur St., No. 305, B.C.
Washington, D.C..........2015 Q Street N.W. 20009
As we have increased our volume of activities, now I think a Governing Body Commission (hereinafter referred to as the GBC) should be established. I am getting old, 75 years old, therefore at any time I may be out of the scene, therefore I think it is necessary to give instruction to my disciples how they shall manage the whole institution. They are already managing individual centers represented by one president, one secretary and one treasurer, and in my opinion they are doing nice. But we want still more improvement in the standard of Temple management, propaganda for Krishna Consciousness, distribution of books and literatures, opening of new centers and educating devotees to the right standard. Therefore, I have decided to adopt the following principles and I hope my beloved disciples will kindly accept them. There was a meeting in San Francisco during the Ratha Yatra festival 1970 and many presidents of the centers were present. In that meeting it was resolved that an ad hoc committee be set up to form the constitution which is taken into consideration. My duty was to first appoint twelve (12) persons to my free choice amongst my disciples and I do it now and their names are as follows:
- Sriman Rupanuga Das Adhikary
- Sriman Bhagavandas Adhikary
- Sriman Syamsundar Das Adhikary
- Sriman Satsvarupa Das Adhikary
- Sriman Karandhar Das Adhikary
- Sriman Hansadutta Das Adhikary
- Sriman Tamala Krsna Das Adhikary
- Sriman Sudama Das Adhikary
- Sriman Bali Mardan Das Brahmacary
- Sriman Jagadisa Das Adhikary
- Sriman Hayagriva Das Adhikary
- Sriman Krsnadas Adhikary
These personalities are now considered as my direct representatives. While I am living they will act as my zonal secretaries and after my demise they will be known as Executors.
I have already awarded Sannyas or the renounced order of life to some of my students and they have also got very important duties to perform in this connection. The Sannyasis will travel to our different centers for preaching purpose as well as enlightening the members of the center for spiritual advancement. The Sannyasis will suggest for opening new centers in suitable places and the GBC will take action on it.
As was stipulated by the ad hoc committee, the function of the GBC will be as follows with particulars:
"The purpose of the Governing Body Commission is to act as the instrument for the execution of the Will of His Divine Grace. And further,
- The GBC oversees all operations and management of ISKCON, as it receives direction from Srila Prabhupada and His Divine Grace has the final approval in all matters.
- His Divine Grace will select the initial 12 members of the GBC. In the succeeding years the GBC will be elected by a vote of all Temple presidents who will vote for 8 from a ballot of all Temple presidents, which may also include any secretary who is in charge of a Temple. Those 8 with the greatest number of votes will be members for the next term of GBC. Srila Prabhupada will choose to retain four commissioners. In the event of Srila Prabhupada's absence, the retiring members will decide which four will remain.
- The commissioners will serve for a period of 3 years, and they may be re-elected at the end of this period.
- The chairman is elected by the GBC for each meeting. He has no veto power, but in even of a vote tie, his vote will decide. The same will apply for votes cast by mail between regular meetings.
- Throughout the year, each of the commissioners will stay with His Divine Grace for one month at a time and keep the other commissioners informed of His Divine Grace's instructions.
- The primary objective of the GBC is to organize the opening of new Temples and to maintain the established Temples.
- Advice will be given by the GBC in cases of real property purchases, which will be in the name of ISKCON, INC. (Trucks or other vehicles will be purchased in the name of the local president).
- Removal of a Temple president by the GBC requires support by the local Temple members.
- The GBC has no jurisdiction in the publication of manuscripts, which will be handled by a separate committee; profits to be returned to Srila Prabhupada."
So far my books are concerned, I am setting up a different body of management known as the BHAKTIVEDANTA BOOK TRUST. The trustees of this body are also members of the GBC, but their function is not dependent on the GBC.
ISKCON Press was created for the exclusive publication of my books and literatures and should be continued in that way.
During my absence no one shall live in my apartment.
A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
Date July 28th 1970
(Robert F. Corens) Rupanuga das Adhikary
(William R. Ehrlichman) Bhagavan das Adhikary
(Kelly Gifford Smith) Karandhar das Adhikary
Date July 28th, 1970
At the World Head Quarters
3764, Watseka Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90034