Posted December 16, 2003
Mayapur Temple Project
Since I joined ISKCON in 1977 I heard about Srila Prabhupada's desire to build a huge temple in Mayapur. I know that over the last 25 years work has been done on this project, but no actual construction has taken place. I heard through the grapevine that millions of dollars has been spent on this project. Of course, no one really knows how much has been spent and most devotees have no idea really what has been done on this project.
Over the years I talked to several devotees that were working with the project and none of the devotees that I talked to had anything good to say about what was happening with the project. After talking to one of the devotees who was dealing with the finances I was totally degusted with what he told me.
In reference to the new management I personally have no idea what is going on with the Mayapur project, and I am sure most Vaishnava devotees in the world know about the same amount of information that I have about the project, which is nothing. This is the reason that I am writing this article, as I would really like to know what is going on, as I really would like this project to be successful.
I have some recommendation for this project, which I believe most devotees would agree with.
- Complete financial records should be presented to the devotees for the last ten years about the project on Chakra. When I say complete, I actually mean complete; I don't mean after all expenses that the management doesn't want people to know about are taken out, that is of course if such expenses exist. This includes salaries too. If such records do not exist, what can be said?
- Budgets for the next three years should be presented to the devotees for the next three years.
- A forum is created on the Internet where devotees can ask questions to the management about the project.
- That all money used in the project should go through banks accounts. Which means that not even one rupee should not be accounted for. There is absolutely no reason that money should not go through a legal bank account.
- The people who are working with the project should be listed on Chakra, so devotees know who is in charge of the project.
- Regular newsletters (every three months) about what is happening with the project are sent to devotees by email to anyone who wants it.
- Regular articles are presented on Chakra about the project.
- A team of independent auditors check on the money that has been spent so far on the project. Independent means that the auditors are not chosen by the same people that are spending the money. These auditors can be chosen by the GBC or temple presidents.
- There should be a meeting each year in the United States, Europe and India, that any devotees can attend, where they can discuss the project with the leaders of the project.
I would hope that other devotees will write articles like this about the
potential ISKCON Mayapur Temple as I would like to know what other
devotees around the world think about this subject. I believe that this
project should be worked on by all the IKSCON devotees around the world
and should not just be under a few devotees chosen by who know who to