Gurukuli Seeks ISKCON Employment Opportunities
Posted March 19, 2010
My name is Maha Visnu das (formerly Vyasadeva), a disciple of HH Bhakti Tirtha Swami, and a US citizen. I was raised in ISKCON and received my entire education in Gurukula, most of it in Vrndavan/Mayapura.
I have been engaged in teaching Bhagavad Gita, part time and sporadically, for the past 10 years while simultaneously taking care of familial and financial concerns. My desire and endeavor has always been to preach Krishna Consciousness fulltime and maintain my family as well, this is a daunting task to say the least and is yet to actually happen.
I have reached a critical turning point in my work where I must now decide to turn what is merely a job into a focused career/profession or turn my part time preaching into a fulltime occupation.
I have chosen the latter for the simple reason that Krishna conscious and spiritual endeavors are my heart and soul and I would rather do nothing else. (I suppose in that sense Gurukula was a resounding success) Besides, it would be a shame to waste 20 years of Krishna Conscious education, training and experience working for Waste Management, regardless of the salary.
The following is my “ISKCONized” resume. The skills I have gained in the secular world are added where applicable.
ISKCON Gurukulas (1978 – 1991, US/Vrndavan/Mayapura)
Work Experience (ISKCON)
Mayapura Gurukula Asrama Teacher – (1991 1999)
- Boy’s Asrama teacher for various asramas, ages 8 to 16
- Taught ESL, Math, Bhakti Sastri, Sastra classes
Mayapura Gurukula Asrama Coordinator – (1995 – 1997)
- Oversaw and managed all Asrama teachers, classes and activities
- Recruited and trained new Asrama teachers
- Developed sastra curriculum for Asrama classes
Founder/Director Mayapura Varnasrama Academy – (1996 – 1999)
- Created and managed vocational training program for teens
- Recruited and supervised Instructors.
- Acquired and maintained facilities, materials and funding
- Oversaw development and implementation of vocational curriculum
Organizer Almvik Summer Festival, Sweden – (1999 – 2002)
- Chaired the Festival Organizing Committee
- Organized the transportation, prasadam and accommodation requirements of seminar leaders and festival participants
- Ensured festival was financially solvent and sustainable
Founder Gita Yoga, Web-based Seminar Company – (2002 – 2004)
- Designed and hosted an interactive preaching website for the Bhagavad Gita
- Researched and implemented web-based marketing.
V. President, ISKCON Boston – (2004 – 2006)
- Oversaw spiritual standards of asrama, kitchen and resident devotees
- Oversaw building and facility upkeep and maintenance
- Worked with congregation to improve temple activities/services/festivals
- Researched and implemented fundraising initiatives
- Ensured the temple remained within its budget and financially solvent
- Did everything else our brahminically inclined, Head Pujari TP didn’t want to do. ;-)
Church Consulting, Boston – (2004 – 2006)
- Helped churches increase the interest in and quality of their worship services
- Developed programs to increase church attendance
- Developed programs to improve church fundraisers and implement new ones.
- Worked with church leaders to identify and effectively solve church managerial and interpersonal problems and crises
- Facilitated communication between church leaders and their congregation
Founder/Director, Orbeth Inc. Humanitarian Program. (1999 – Present)
- Design and host a website to support my humanitarian interests
- Research and implement web-based fundraising initiatives.
- Research and implement conventional fundraising initiatives.
Trained/Experienced in Samskaras and Yajnas
Trained/Experienced Gurukula Teacher
Trained/Experienced Public Speaker, Lecturer
Trained/Experienced Project, Temple Manager
Experienced Crisis Manager
Trained/Experienced Mrdanga Player/Kirtan Leader
Trained/Experienced Cook, (Deity portions, 10 – 15 people)
Trained/Experienced in New Devotee development and training
Experienced in Web design
Experienced in MS Office
Interest/Activities (in order of preference)
- Public Speaking/Preaching/Seminar leading (Adults)
- Politics/Government/Crisis Management
- Gurukula Teaching
- Event Planning and Organization
- Web design
- English (fluent)
- Bengali, Norwegian (spoken)
- Hindi, Swedish (basic comprehension)
- HS Soccer Coach
- Aids Action Committee, Boston (Fundraising)
- MA. State Politics, (Fundraising, Office Management, Communications)
- Mitt Romney 2008 Presidential Campaign, (Focus Group Facilitator)
The ideal engagement would involve, travel, teaching/public speaking, and crisis management and resolution. If you have such engagement and the ability to employ a responsible devotee please contact me. If you know of some project/person that would benefit from my involvement/services please forward this letter to them.
Serving in Krishna consciousness fulltime is my goal and I now must either do it as an occupation or start seriously focusing on and furthering my secular profession.
I can be reached at email@example.com or at the ISKCON Boston Temple: (617) 247-8611