Teaching Principal Position Available
Posted March 13, 2010
BHAKTIVEDANTA SWAMI GURUKULA SCHOOL
Founder-acarya H.G. A.C. Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada
525 Tyalgum Road, Murwillumbah NSW 2484, AUSTRALIA
Teaching Principal Position Available
Applicants please submit resume via e-mail: email@example.com,
The Bhaktivedanta Swami Gurukula School is currently seeking to employ a full time School Principal. This is a full time salaried position. It is a wonderful opportunity to serve Srila Prabhupada, the younger devotee generation and the future of ISKCON. If you are interested, please read the job description or pass it on to someone you know who may be interested. The devotee who fills this position will be able to live and work in the beautiful New Govardhana community in the Tweed valley, northern New South Wales. This pristine environment is perfect for raising a family and practicing Krsna Consciousness in the mode of goodness.
We will be holding interviews between March 1st and April 30th
School Principal Job Description
This is a full-time, salaried, management position. Hours are Mon. Fri. 8:45 AM – 3:15 PM during the school year. The school year consists of four 10 week terms, and together runs from February to mid December. There are 3 two week breaks between terms, and a six week summer break from mid December to February. Applicant must be willing to relocate to New Govardhana or to live in the immediate community. Responsibilities include overseeing quality of devotional and educational environment, a small number of teaching hours, and management of the entire operation of the school. The present staff consists of an administrator, 2 full time teachers around 30 students in primary school grades (K to year 6).
REPORTS TO: Bhaktivedanta Swami Gurukula School Board and ISKCON Australia’s
Executive Committee. Performance evaluations will come from teacher peer reviews
and the School Board's evaluation.
SUPERVISES: Teachers in relation to school operations and for educational development, curriculum planning, training, discipline or performance reviews. Directly supervises a grounds maintenance person, and an independent accountant consultant. As the school develops, an administrative assistant may be hired to assist this position.
- Evaluating the planning, teaching and assessing of all teachers to ensure that the standards established by the NSW Board of Studies are being met, and assisting through teacher appraisal to enrich the quality of those standards.
- Ensure that all teachers develop detailed teaching plans, consistent with the relevant Krishna Conscious content and BoS syllabus prior to the commencement of each term, and that a copy of such planning be kept on record.
- Oversee the development of whole school approaches to education in various departments and subjects offered in the school including character development.
MANAGEMENT OF SCHOOL OPERATIONS
- Liaise with Spiritual authorities (i.e. GBC and Australian National Council) regarding the ongoing performance of the Gurukula and its relation and duties with respect to other ISKCON projects
- Communicate with government departments and education authorities on behalf of the school to ensure ongoing funding and registration of the Gurukula and compliancy with Federal Industrial Relations requirements.
- Develop agendas and hold weekly staff meetings with the teachers to develop, review and improve the school operations and deal with potential problems and resolution of existing problems.
- Establish adequate property inventory records and ensure the security of school property.
- Develop positive school/community relations and act as liaison between the school and community.
- Organising replacement teaching and covering of staff absences when staff are unable to perform any of their required duties.
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
- Overseeing the health and safety of all children enrolled in the school, and encouraging other staff members to act according to high standards in this regard.
- Develop and administer student applications, enrolment, termination and discipline forms.
- Approve all school-sponsored activities and maintain a calendar of all school events.
- Manage the school's financial resources including the preparation and disbursement of the school's budgets and internal accounts.
- Closely monitor expenses & income to stay on budget.
- Develop relationships with the student's parents through ongoing communication and meetings. Send regular statements regarding tuition payments, and follow up with them for their timely payments.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of all state and federal reporting, as well as accreditation reporting.
- Order and maintain inventory of supplies, including academic materials, office supplies, and household items, ground maintenance equipment and supplies.
MAINTENANCE & SAFETY
- Oversee the grounds maintenance person to ensure the grounds are maintained nicely.
- Monitor the custodial program at the school to ensure a clean, healthy and safe learning environment.
- Supervise the orderly movement and safety of transportation vehicles between town and the farm.
- Ensure that the standards set by Srila Prabhupada for proper behaviour and Vaisnava etiquette are being followed in the school
- Engage in strategic planning and development initiatives, both individually and with other staff, aimed at identifying ways to improve and refine our practices in order to better meet our stated goals
- Provide recognition and celebration for staff, student and school accomplishment.
- Perform other tasks consistent with the goals and objectives of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of management and administrative procedures.
- Knowledge of MS Office software applications and proficient in WORD and EXCEL.
- Knowledge of personnel procedures and basic H/R policies.
- Skill in human interaction and conflict resolution. Skill in handling student/teacher/parent problems, concerns and emotional distress with sensitivity and tact.
- Skill in project management, prioritization, time management, and successfully completing projects.
- Skill in working with professional consultants, lawyers, businesspeople, etc. to research and delegate responsibilities to complete projects beyond your own abilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with parents, students, teachers and the community.
- Model effective listening and positive interaction skills.
- Ability to read and interpret applicable laws, rules, policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop and manage budgets, with at least a basic understanding of financial reporting.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions with minimum supervision. Ability to handle multiple tasks in a professional and courteous manner.
- Be an active and practicing devotee whose lifestyle, personal time activities, and professional conduct are in accord with the teaching precepts of Gaudiya Vaisnavism, as presented by Srila Prabhupada.
- The Bhaktivedanta Swami School considers all applicants without regard to race, colour, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital, or veteran status.
- All candidates are required to have a clear criminal record.
- Possess a BA, BS or Masters degree in Education from an accredited college or university.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of successful teaching and management/administrative experience.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include up to 21 days leave (sick/personal days combined), low rent or rent exempt accommodation if living on the farm, discounts in school fees if children enrolled in school, other fringe benefits may apply.