ISKCON Bangalore Peace Proposal
Posted April 9, 2012
An Oversight Committee, appointed by the Supreme Court of India, has urged ISKCON-Bangalore and ISKCON-Mumbai to find a peaceful settlement. Responding to this ISKCON-Bangalore has given a Peace Proposal. Attached are :
2. ISKCON-Bangalore’s Peace Proposal dated Mar 14, 2012. (See Below)
PEACE PROPOSAL BY ISKCON-BANGALORE
PLACED BEFORE THE OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE
DATED MARCH 14TH, 2012
(THIS PEACE PROPOSAL IS OFFERED WITHOUT PREJUDICE TO THE RIGHTS AND CONTENTIONS OF ISKCON-BANGALORE SOCIETY MADE BEFORE VARIOUS COURTS AND IN THE SLP BEFORE THE HONOURABLE SUPREME COURT OF INDIA)
The dispute between ISKCON-Bangalore and ISKCON-Mumbai concerns:
I. Theological issue: Who is the Acharya of ISKCON who will give diksha (initiation) to all the devotees of ISKCON?
ISKCON-Bangalore’s Position: Srila Prabhupada shall remain the Acharya of ISKCON and continue to give diksha and guide all devotees in ISKCON to the abode of Lord Sri Krishna.
ISKCON-Mumbai’s Position: Since Srila Prabhupada is no more physically present, one should take diksha from one of the present ISKCON gurus.
II. Who owns the Sri Radha Krishna Temple property on Hare Krishna Hill in Bangalore? Is it ISKCON-Bangalore society or ISKCON-Mumbai society?
III. Who shall manage Sri Radha Krishna Temple property on Hare Krishna Hill in Bangalore? Is it ISKCON-Bangalore society or ISKCON-Mumbai society?
The suit schedule property, Sri Radha Krishna Temple on Hare Krishna Hill, Rajajinagar, Bangalore, being a public temple and a immovable property which cannot be sold or mortgaged or encumbered in any manner in the process of managing the same, the real issue is to determine the permanent structure of management of this Sri Radha Krishna Temple property, on Hare Krishna Hill, Rajajinagar, Bangalore, hereinafter referred to as the Temple.
ISKCON-Bangalore wishes to propose the following:
1. System of initiation (diksha): the irrevocable and only system of initiation practiced and preached in the Temple shall be as per July 9th 1977 directive of Srila Prabhupada. According to this, Srila Prabhupada is the Acharya and all devotees of ISKCON shall be disciples of Srila Prabhupada.
2. There shall be a two tier system for managing the Temple:
Governing Council: this council will govern the Temple by defining broad policies as per the objectives of ISKCON and directions of temple management as given by Srila Prabhupada. A CHARTER FOR GOVERNENCE will more elaborately describe the scope and powers of the Governing Council.
Executive Council: this council will be responsible for the day-to-day affairs of the Temple. A CHARTER FOR EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT will more elaborately describe the scope and powers of the Executive Council.
3. The Governing Council will consist of
a) three members nominated by ISKCON-Bangalore society
b) three members nominated by ISKCON-Mumbai society
c) one retired High court or Supreme court judge nominated by ISKCON-Bangalore society.
d) one retired High court or Supreme court judge nominated by ISKCON-Mumbai society.
4. The Executive Council will consist entirely of missionaries who are members of and nominated by ISKCON-Bangalore society consisting of Temple President, assisted by Senior Vice President and several Vice Presidents, as it is now managed.
5. There shall be a CODE OF CONDUCT which will define how the devotees of both societies should conduct themselves at the Temple keeping in mind the system of initiation as per point no.1 above.
6. On the broad acceptance of this proposal, a Joint Draft Committee will be formed and charged with the task of drafting the following documents:
i) CHARTER FOR GOVERNENCE
ii) CHARTER FOR EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT
iii) CODE OF CONDUCT
These three will constitute the TEMPLE CONSITITUTION DOCUMENTS.
7. The Joint Draft Committee will consist of
a. three members nominated by ISKCON-Bangalore society
b. three members nominated by ISKCON Mumbai society
c. the Oversight Committee
8. In future, the TEMPLE CONSTITUTION DOCUMENTS can be amended only by ¾ majority of the Governing Council. Such amendments are possible only in a Council with a quorum of 6 members present and at least one retired HC or SC judge will be one of the 6 members. More details of such special meetings will be part of the charter.
9. After the TEMPLE CONSTITUTION DOCUMENTS are drafted, the PEACE PROPOSAL will be finalized and put in place under the supervision of the Oversight Committee.
Post your comments here.
These comments are posted by independent site visitors and are in no way affiliated with Chakra.org or the authors of its content. All comments must be appropriately censored for children. If you want to post anonymously, we can provide you a password for Chakra Dev (email your request to chakradevrequest (@) gmail (.) com ).