Festival of Lights reminder
Posted October 21, 2003
A reminder that the Festival of Lights (Diwali) will be celebrated this coming Sat. Oct. 25, from 6 pm at the Krishna Temple, 8628 S. Main St., Spanish Fork.
The program includes a multi media drama (Dracula Gets A Gita), Indian classical (Bharat Natyam) and folk (Garba) dancing, a Vedic Fire sacrifice (Agni Hotra), a service giving respect to a live cow (Go-Puja), and a vegetarian food extravaganza.
The gift store will be well stocked for the event, with new shipments of statuary and deities, hand carved wooden screens and tables, Om and Ganesh imprinted tapestries and bed spreads, as well as ladies1 and gents1 clothes etc.
We have this week started a yahoo group moderated by Caru Das, who posts several times a week the happenings at the temple in sometimes humorous detail. There are also sections for photos and a calendar of up coming events. It is a good way to get more in touch. If you would like to join the group, please e-mail Caru Das so he can arrange for you to post your comments and suggestions along with his and those of the other members.
The URL for KrishnaKulture is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KrishnaKulture/
There is one more festival after Diwali during the 2003 calendar year. It will be Gita Jayanti (The Advent of Bhagavad Gita) observed Dec. 6th at 6 pm. Then the schedule of events for 2004 is as follows FYI.
- February 15 Sunday 5 pm, Maha Shiva Ratri
- March 6 Saturday 4 pm, Holi, Gaura Purnima
- March 27 Sat. 5 pm, Ram Navami
- June 5, Sat. 6 pm, 3rd Annual Himalayan Festival
- June 19 Sun. 5 pm, Chariot Festival
- July 17 Sat. 4 pm, 10th Annual Llama Fest
- August 7 Sat. 6 pm, Good Karma Festival
- Sept. 5 Sat. 8 pm, Krishna1s Birthday Festival
- Sept. 18 Sat. 4 pm, 18th Annual Festival of India
- Oct. 23 Sat. 6 pm, Ram Vijayotsava
- Nov. 13 Sat, 6 pm, Diwali, Govardhan Puja, Anna Kuta
- Dec. 18 Sat. 6 pm, Advent of Bhagavad Gita
These festivals generally attended by large crowds are an opportunity to
showcase the talents of our local community members. If you or yours have a
skill in the performing arts, dance, drama, or music please call for an
audition. We do have a modest budget especially dedicated for local talent.