The North American Grihastha Vision Team (GVT) held their annual meeting in
Prabhupada Village, North Carolina, the last week of April. The 12-person
team reviewed their year's accomplishments and planned for the coming year.
The future plans include rolling out a new schedule for the four-day VTE
Grihastha Training Course, "Strengthening the Bonds that Free Us" (The next
training will be held in Alachua, July 13-15, 2007, contact:
email@example.com), the development of one-day "mini" courses on
such topics as Parenting, Finding a Worthy Partner, Communication Skills,
and Problem Solving Skills; and expanding the organization to include
interested persons as Grihastha Vision Team "associates."
Formed four years ago, the GVT is a group of devotees who are either
registered counselors or have training in marriage education/preparation. It
is the mission of the North American Grihastha Vision Team to support,
strengthen, educate and enliven the individuals, couples and families who
are or will be involved with the grihastha ashram. The GVT works with ISKCON
temples throughout North America.
Some of the GVT mission objectives include:
- Improving the condition of marriage and family life in the Hare
Krishna Movement and in society at large and establishing a long range plan
for such improvement.
- Increasing public awareness of resources, skills, and
opportunities available to married devotees, those seeking marriage, or to
those who want to assist marriages and families.
- Strengthening, enlivening and supporting children, women, and men
in their pursuit of a healthy, peaceful, spiritual experience in household
- Developing programs for the care and protection of widows, single
mothers, and their children.
- Implementing educational and informational activities to increase
public awareness of the benefits of premarital counseling and skill-building
- Providing training of mentor couples and creating training
courses for both lay persons and professionals in parenting and relationship
- Maintaining a web site for educational and networking purposes.
- Educating the leadership in the Hare Krishna Movement about the
benefits of offering marriage education to couples, and preparing the youth
in their congregations for healthy Krishna Conscious family life.
The GVT has accomplished the following goals in support of its mission:
- Established a website: www.VaisnavaFamilyResources.org/
- Authored a four-day VTE Grihastha Training Course, "Strengthening
the Bonds that Free Us" and conducted the course in New York City, New York;
Toronto, Winnipeg, and Vancouver, Canada; Washington D.C., and Durban,
Capetown, Johannesburg, and Pretoria, South Africa
- Authored a two-day Mentor Couples Training Course and conducted the
course in Alachua, Florida; Durban and Johannesburg, South Africa; and
Toronto and Vancouver, Canada.
- Conducted a 175-person "Grihasta Attitudes" survey in 2005. (See
results of survey at www.VaisnavaFamilyResources.org/.)
- Established a Directory of Marriage and Family Counselors and
Educators, which is available at
- Produced five brochures: 1) 12 Principles of Grihastha Family Life
, 2) A Potential Spouse-Seven Qualities to Look For, 3) A Strong
Marriage-Seven Vital Ingredients , 3) For Parents-Five Tips, 4) Five
Tips to Be a Better Dad, 5) The Importance of Premarital Counseling,
which are available for download from
If you would like more information on how to become involved in the mission
of the North American Grihasta Vision Team, please contact the GVT via
e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.