Special 108 Vyasa-puja Festival for Srila Prabhupada
Posted June 14, 2004
We would like to warmly invite devotees to come to a very special Srila Prabhupada Vyasa-puja festival in the village of Gadeigiri Orissa. Gadeigiri village is famous for its ancient deity of Gopaljiu and also for Gopal's devotee, Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja. Gour Govinda Maharaja grew up in Gadeigiri and there is now a wonderful ISKCON temple there dedicated to Gopaljiu.
Gadeigiri is a tranquil and traditional Orissan village a few hours away from Jagannath Puri. The residents are famous for their expertise in performing kirtana.
Activities planned for Janmastami and Srila Prabhupada's 108th Vyasa-puja include:
- Remembrances of Srila Prabhupada.
- 108 kunda grand abhisekha of Srila Prabhupada.
- 108 Hare Krishna maha-mantra fire yajna.
- Abhisekha of Gopaljiu and Sri Sri Radha Madhava -- the original deities of Thakur Bhaktivinode.
- Hours of nectarean hari-katha from Sri Fakir Mohan Das Prabhu** and other senior vaishnavas.
- Orissan style bhajans and lila-kirtans by Sri Damodar Giri and friends (Damodar Giri is the cousin brother of Gour Govinda Swami).
- Grand hari-nama sankirtana in Gadeigiri and neighboring villages.
- Guided parikramas of Jagannath Puri and Bhubaneswar are also possible at this time. Contact us for information.
WHY THIS SPECIAL FESTIVAL?
A year ago an Orissan devotee named Ratnakara Pandit Prabhu had a dream in which his spiritual master Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami instructed him to observe a special festival for Srila Prabhupada's 108th appearance anniversary. In that dream, Gour Govinda Maharaja instructed him to have a grand abhisekha ceremony for Srila Prabhupada with 108 pots of sacred waters and also to have a fire sacrifice with 108 oblations of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra. Sri Chaitanya Chandra Prabhu the temple president of Gadeigiri is requesting devotees to come and grace us with your presence. Chaitanya Chandra Prabhu says that we are not requesting donations, simply that devotees come and give us their blessings.
ACCOMMODATIONS AND TRAVEL
Gadeigiri is in East-central Orissa. The nearest airport is in Bhubaneswar. Accommodations will be provided for everyone and transportation will be provided from Bhubaneswar.
For further information contact Chaitanya Chandra Das at:
** Sri Fakir Mohan Prabhu is an elderly retired professor of Sanskrit and Oriya literature. He comes from a Gaudiya vaishnava family and is a life-long friend of Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami. He is famous for his scholarly hari-katha and for recovering the original deities of Thakur Bhaktivinode. Fakir Mohan Prabhu is a long-time friend of ISKCON and has been lecturing at various ISKCON centers around the world for the last five years.
The drawing of Srila Prabhupada accompanying this notice was done by Bhaktin