NY Ratha-Yatra News Bulletin #2
Posted June 5, 2004
We are only 10 days away from Lord Jagannath's Ratha Yatra Festival, and everyone is getting ecstatic!
- There are many renovation projects which are going on in the temple, with new floors being installed and paint jobs all throughout. Devotees are putting in many extra hours getting the whole facility up to par to handle the crowds of devotees all of Ratha Yatra weekend.
- On Saturday June 5, 2004 we will be celebrating a special Snana Yatra Festival for Lord Jagannath to kick off the festivities leading up to Ratha Yatra on June 12. The program begins at 6:00pm and will continue till 9pm, as all the devotees will get a unique chance to bathe Lord Jagannath, Baladeva & Lady Subhadra.
- Vaisesika Prabhu, North American Secretary for Book Distribution, is offering seminars on how to set up Book Tables. Classes will be given from Wednesday, June 9 to Friday, June 11. Come any day or every day. Classroom discussions start after breakfast prasadam in the Radha-Govinda Temple. Live demonstrations on the streets of New York start at 1:30pm.
- On June 10 & 11 His Holiness Radhanath Swami will be giving 2 memorable presentations on the pastimes of Lord Caitanya at the Ratha Yatra Festival.
- At the Ratha Yatra Festival there will be a 1 hour Kathak dance presentation of Krishna Lila given by Satyanarayan Charka and 8 dancers from his performing troupe.
- Also our special guest: His Holiness B.B. Govinda Swami and the Kazakhstan Silk Road (Hare Krishna) Band will take the stage Saturday afternoon at the park and Sunday evening at the Temple for kirtans which must not be missed. If you want to know what it was like to be in Mayapur for the Panca-Tattva Deity installation, then you will have to come to New York Ratha Yatra and Sankirtan Festival.
- On Sunday June 13, 2004 there will be a special Remembrance Festival for His Holiness Sridhar Swami starting at 11:00am. His Godbrothers / sisters and disciples will share their remembrances and realizations about the life and pastimes of a beloved disciple of Srila Prabhupada.
- Despite it being Ekadasi on Sunday June 13, Srikanta Prabhu and his team of devotee chefs have a list of 22 Ekadasi preps for the morning and evening prasadam. Thus, no one will leave the temple hungry that day.
As you can see, the festival plans are underway, and will continue strong throughout this week and the next, leading up to Ratha-Yatra weekend. But there is still a shortage of volunteers for the many services required, and there are still chances for the devotees to still give some donation for this festival. Please send in your checks ASAP to the temple, and/or let us know how you want to help in the service of Lord Jagannath. For further information, please visit us online: http://www.radhagovinda.net
"We must take up the task of self-purification by engaging in service to Krishna and His devotees and thus be in the proper frame of mind to receive Lord Jagannath."
Sri Jagannath Ratha-Yatra Mahotsava Ki Jai!!