Resources for Vaisnavas:
A Happy Anniversary and a Bright Beginning
Posted June 7, 2005
Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Sri Guru and Sri Gauranga. All glories to your service at Their lotus feet!
In an effort to serve the Vaisnavas and their beloved Lord, I humbly offer the following information.
A Happy Anniversary:
One year ago, the Vaisnava Family and Community Conference (VFCC) was founded. This Conference consists of five online discussion groups that serve the needs of Vaisnava families in the following areas: Healthy Relationships, Homeschooling and Holistic Education, Attachment Parenting, Breastfeeding and Ecology. Each of these topics is in harmony with Vaisnava philosophy and culture. Members of the groups help each other with spiritual and practical issues as we explore that harmony and actively create balance in our families and communities.
Throughout VFCC's first year, the dear devotees who make up the groups have generously contributed their voices to the discussion. Their contributions have enabled VFCC to develop into the diverse and welcoming online community that it is today.
For more information on the support and information services available at the Vaisnava Family and Community Conference, please visit and feel free to join the discussions. [Links and additional notes are listed at the end of this article.]
A Bright Beginning:
This spring also marks the founding of a new resource for Vaisnavas called the Vaisnava Children's Initiative (VCI). VCI is in it's early development and holds much potential. Please stay tuned and get connected with VCI through the contact information at the end of this article. Meanwhile, what follows is a general description to introduce VCI and invite devotees to send in early contributions for the website's upcoming opening this summer.
The Vaisnava Children's Initiative is a support and information network for devotees who are involved with children and families on an individual or institutional level. VCI is a clearing house for information related to the physical, mental, educational, material and spiritual needs of our children and families. The aims of VCI are sharing information, meeting people knowledgeable in particular fields, making lasting connections and taking action to develop dynamic programs that directly serve the needs of children and families, who are a vital and valuable part of our communities.
The VCI website, in accord with the living network, consists of various departments. Essential aspects are child protection and healthy family relationships. Important information in regard to child development, educational options and community support is also available. There are departments that address numerous opportunities that we, as a diverse world-wide community, can offer our children. Some of these areas of interest are Vedic music and dance and agricultural services. Higher education, mentoring and job placement for young adults are also areas of opportunity that are addressed. Pages for Sunday School, arts and crafts, wholesome toys and books are present in addition to many interesting links and inspiring images.
I invite devotees and friends to submit articles, pictures, projects, and other contributions to VCI so we may realize the goal of working together for the benefit of the children. All varnas and asramas have something to contribute and something to learn in the effort to heal and nourish our spiritual communities. Whether you are a stay-at-home parent, a seasoned leader, a Vaisnava youth, a brahmacari or a new bhaktin, you are part of the community and your presence can benefit the children within it. By contributing to such an effort, we help eachother with the practical and spiritual issues we all face.
Some practical examples of how you may contribute:
- If you are good at sewing, you could contribute patterns for making natural, soft toys such as elephants, monkeys, etc. for young children.
- If you are knowledgeable about Vedic music, you could contribute lessons on authentic mrdanga rhythms for older children.
- If you are expert at interacting with young adults, you could contribute a handy guide on how to respect an adolescent's freedoms while upholding Vaisnava values in the home.
- If you are a nurse, teacher or coach, you could contribute information regarding child development, health and wholesome activities for children.
- If you have an ability to write inspiring articles or create inspiring pictures on child-oriented subjects, VCI is a great media outlet for them.
- If you are an administrator of a devotee program that has great results with kids, you could contribute a template of the program for other communities to benefit from.
- If you are exceptionally familiar with the Vaisnava scriptures, you could contribute a collection of inspiring excerpts in regard to building healthy relationships among devotees and examples of engaging children in Krishna consciousness in dynamic ways.
As a community working together, we can surely create a lively resource for parents, teachers, caregivers, administrators, leaders and others who care about the future of the Vaisnava children of the world. Let us pool our energies so the children may benefit from our knowledge and goodwill. Let us offer our children a safe, joyful and luminous experience of Krishna Consciousness.
Those persons who are experienced or interested in these topics and services are encouraged to contribute to VCI and VFCC. These resources, although simple and humble, are at the service of the devotees.
Bowing at the lotus feet of my initiating and instructing spiritual masters, Srila Prabhupada, the acaryas, and the devotees of Sri Sri Radha Govinda, I offer these services at Their lotus feet.
Thank you for your tolerance, consideration and inspiration!
Your dependent servant,
Kalavati devi dasi
[Inquiries and suggestions are welcome.]
Links to all resources mentioned in this article
- Vaisnava Children's Initiative (VCI) - Founder and owner: Kalavati devi dasi
- Vaisnava Family and Community Conference (VFCC) - Founder and owner:
Kalavati devi dasi
- Vaisnava Attachment Parenting Association (VAPA) - Founder and owner:
Kalavati devi dasi
- Vaisnava Breastfeeding Support Service (VBSS) - Founder and owner:
Kalavati devi dasi
- Vaisnava Homeschoolers and Holistic Educators (VHHE) - Co-owners: Her
Grace Leslie Mataji and Kalavati devi dasi; Founder: Kalavati devi
- Vaisnava Ecologists (VECO) - Co-owners: His Grace Pandu Prabhu and
Kalavati devi dasi; Founder: Kalavati devi dasi
- A related online group, created by friend and birth worker Rasa
Vilasini Mataji, is also available as a resource for women at the
Vaisnavi Pregnancy and Birth (VPB) - Founder and owner: Her Grace Rasa Vilasini Mataji
- The VCI website is currently under construction. All submissions and inquiries for VCI may be addressed to Kalavati@VaisnavaChildrensInitiative.org
- VCI and VFCC are independent and inclusive. They are also non-sectarian, non-political, and non-commercial.
- VBSS and VPB are services for women.