New Single Released
Posted November 12, 2008
Instrumentally, it's a unique fusion of East/West instruments and styles. Vocally, it's a duet featuring Ron Marinelli (Uttamasloka dasa) and Christina Adams (Kaushalya dasi), along with 4 part harmony background vocals.
The song is available now to listen for free, and to purchase on...
In a few weeks, by the end of Nov/09 or earlier, it will also be available at all iTunes Stores, Amazon MP3, Rhapsody, Napster, eMusic, GroupieTunes, Lala, Shockhound, and Amie Street.
Our 4 Requests To You...
1. Take a few minutes to listen to the song - listening is free anytime.
2. If you like the song - BUY IT!!! It's only a buck - still a very fair deal in today's economy.
3. If you liked the song enough to buy it, please forward this newsletter to your eMail lists, and feel free to write your own review at the beginning of this newsletter, and make a personal recommendation to your friends and associates.
4. PLEASE DON'T GIVE FREE COPIES OF THIS SONG TO ANYONE!!! Play it for everyone, and encourage them to buy a copy if they like it. A LOT of time and effort went into making this recording, and it's only $1. We appreciate your support.
Srita Kamala is a beautiful song from the book, Gita Govinda, written by Jayadeva Goswami, in the 12th century, in Orissa , India. It's a very well known devotional book in the Vaishnava tradition, full of stories about Krishna and his intimate associates. We're only singing the first 6 of the 9 verses comprising the original song. The song glorifies Krishna and his pastimes.
The Back Story...
I first heard a recording of this song around 1973, when I was living in an ashram in Toronto. It was on an album of bhajans (devotional songs to God) recorded by Acyutananda Swami, an American devotee of Krishna living in Mayapura, Bengal India. The melody was hauntingly beautiful, and I instantly fell in love with it. I taught everyone in the ashram this song and we sang it many times throughout the following years.
Unknown to me at that time, Christina Adams, who lived in India from 1970 to 1974, learned the song directly from Acyutananda Swami in the early 70s, having heard him perform it. He told her he heard and learned it from a local Bengali kirtan/bhajan group. Christina moved to France in 1974 and recorded an album of bhajans, which included a version of Srita Kamala.
In 1975 I managed an ashram in Chicago and that's when Christina and I first met. We all sang this song many times during daily bhajans. In 1978 I moved to Los Angeles and Christina and her husband moved to San Diego. In the 90s, Christina and her new husband, Anthony, moved to Los Angeles, and around 1997 I reconnected with them. We started a recording project together soon after that and this was one of the songs from that project.
Produced & Arranged by Ron Marinelli and Anthony Leigh Adams
Recorded, Edited, Mixed & Mastered by Ron Marinelli
Vocals arranged by Ron Marinelli
The original tracks were recorded on a Roland VS-1680. It was subsequently converted to the Roland VS-2480 format. From there, the tracks were exported as .wav files and imported into Logic Pro 8.0.2, for the final mixing and mastering. A wide variety of UAD plugins were used extensively during mixing and mastering, via a UAD-1e and UAD-2 Quad card. Logic Pro 8.0.2 is running on my MacPro Quad 2.66, with OSX 10.5.5.
Ron Marinelli - Lead Vocal, Background vocals, Electric Guitar, Tanpura
Christina Adams - Lead Vocal
Anthony Leah Adams - Acoustic Guitar
Doug Robinson - Bass
Gilbert Levy - Drums, Tambourine
David Philipson - Bamboo Flute - Bansuri
Radha Gopinatha das Marinelli - Tablas
Elizabeth Everet - Background vocals
Ayo Adeyemi - Shaker
srita kamala kucha mandala he dhrita kundala e kalita lalita vana mala jaya jaya deva hare
dina mani mandala mandana he bhava khandana e munijana manasa hamsa jaya jaya deva hare jaya deva hare
kaliya visha dhara ganjana he jana ranjana e yadu kula nalina dinesha jaya jaya deva hare jaya deva hare
Shining with the light Of the sun and the moon Rain your love's sweet monsoon Rain your boundless love Fill my heart with wonder Rain your boundless love My heart beats like thunder jaya jaya deva hare jaya deva hare
madhu mura naraka vinashana he amala kamala dala lochana he janaka suta krita bhushana he
garu dasana e bhava mochana e jita dushana e
sura kula keli nidana tribhuvana bhuvana nidhana samara shamita dasha kantha jaya jaya deva hare jaya deva hare
1) Glories, glories to Lord Hari, the Supreme Personality of Godhead,
2) The Lord's face shines like the whorl of the sun.
3) O Supreme Personality of Godhead who destroyed the demoniac Kaliya serpent!
4) O Lord, destroyer of the demons Madhu, Mura and Naraka! Seated on Garuda,
5) O Lord Your eyes are like lotus petals, and You destroy the bondage of the material world.
6) O Lord, as the gem of the sons of Janaka, You were victorious over all the asuras,
7) O Supreme Personality of Godhead who held the Goverdhana Hill!
8) O Lord, I offer my humble obeisances at Your lotus feet.
9) The poet Sri Jayadeva offers this songs of devotion and shining good fortune to Thee.