Open Letter To Devotees Familiar With Rural North Carolina
Posted September 1, 2006
Greetings dear souls,
Some friends and I are looking to move and settle in next year near to a Prabhupada Centered rural-ish extended community somewhere in North Carolina, preferably in the hilly/mountain areas. We are congregational members who were actively involved in ISKCON from the 1970's to early 1990's. We would sincerely appreciate hearing from members of Srila Prabhupada's extetended family who live in these areas and who would be willing to share information about their community and the surrounding areas--rural, nearby towns/cities, etc.
I've been actively researching on the Internet for several months and would now like to personalize our adventure.
- Approximately how many devotees live in the immediate and surrounding area?
- Is there a pervasive atmosphere of Cooperation in the devotee community? As long as we are in material 3-D bodies in Kali yuga, sure, there will be challenges. Is there an atmosphere of cooperation and willingness to accept responsibility for own's actions and choices?
- What type(s) of schooling are available (at least one 11 year old student is coming)?
- What is the temple like? regular daily programs--morning/daytime darshan/evening kirtan?
- how many bhoga offerings to Srila Prabhupada and Their Lordships each day? Sunday feast program?
- What types of classes and group association are available on a regular/semi-regular basis?
- Is there land adjacent to the Temple Properties for residential and Cottage Industry? Is there land already developed with a home or more for sale by any devotees living in the area?
- Does anyone that you know of have experiences working directly with Rural Housing and Economic Development groups / foundations / organizations / entities in your area?
- Are there devotees in the area who are familiar with Green, Sustainable, Universally Accessible Building materials and methods?
- Does your community feel good and have a general feeling of support and nurturing?
- and whatever else you feel inspired to share with us.
Thank you in advance for your time and energy. We look forward to hearing about all the Infinite Possibilities for Vaisnava association in your area.